World Cup winner Paolo Rossi is enthused by the array of attacking talent emerging in Italy.
The legendary Italian striker become a hero with the Azzuri faithful after galvanising his side to World Cup success in 1982, scoring a hat-trick against Brazil along the way.
Now the 55-year-old, sees a promising future unfolding with plenty of young striking options coming through the ranks ready to make their mark on the international stage.
“This is a good moment for our football in terms of attackers,” the former Juventus striker told Tuttosport.
“I really like Roma’s Mattia Destro, Fabio Borini of Liverpool and Napoli’s Lorenzo Insigne, who are all in the national set-up now.
“Every now and again I also follow Ciro Immobile. He’s certainly another very interesting element. You can see that he is hungry for goals and wants to leave his mark.”
Moving away from strikers, Rossi was also full of praise for Paris Saint-Germain's new signing, Marco Verratti.
“There really are a lot of options right now,” he continued.
“And, although he’s not an attacker, let me say that PSG’s Marco Verratti is a really promising midfielder.”
When asked about Milan and how they will fare this season following a summer of great change in terms of personnel, Rossi was sceptical.
"It 's too early to tell. The club has changed a lot. Perhaps too much all at once: ten great players left at the same time. They were all big shots. When players like Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva are sold, it definitely affects the quality of the team," he added.
"In the last week of the transfer market, Milan tried desperately to make some signings. It is hard to say if they did enough in the end. You have to wait a few weeks. But, certainly the team is not as competitive as in the recent past when they boasted teams that aimed to win every competition.
"It will be a year of transition. But they can do well. Adriano Galliani is right when he says that Milan can fight on par with anyone in Italy. But, not in Europe, not any longer can they compete."
Rossi then revealed his favourites for this year's Champions League, and he could not look past the two Spanish giants.
"I would say Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United," he added.
"Then a group of outsiders represented by Bayern Munich, Manchester City and Paris Saint Germain.
"I hope Ancelotti does well with PSG. Carlo is a great manager, with a great ability to communicate. He is among the best Italian coaches I have seen. As for Italy's prospects, I can see Juventus doing well."
Italy doctor, professor Enrico Castellacci, has confirmed that Giuseppe Rossi is distraught at the prospect of missing Euro 2012 through injury.
The Villarreal attacker has been on the sidelines for the majority of this campaign, but was expected to be fully fit in time for the tournament in Ukraine and Poland.
However, the 25-year-old suffered a recurrence of the anterior cruciate ligament injury in club training on Friday, and will now miss the competition.
Castellacci has confirmed that Rossi is devastated by the news and will be out of action for another six months.
"I was just on the phone with Beppe [Rossi]. He’s distraught and he really expected to make a comeback in order to have a chance to make the Euros, but now I think he’ll go back to the United States," Castellacci told Radio Sportiva.
"This is a terrible blow for the athlete and the man, who I really care about. He is a splendid lad and this setback is painful for all of us. I had spoken to him only two days ago and he said he felt good.
"We were happy to hear his enthusiasm and I probably would’ve gone to see him personally. I perform hundreds of operations on cruciate ligaments every year.
"He said it was a banal trauma that caused it, but there could be many reasons for the fresh injury and it doesn’t seem right to discuss them until we know more details. Meanwhile, the drama of this poor lad is what stands out.
"He will have to undergo another operation and wait those six months to get back to playing football," he concluded.
Italy have been rocked by the news that Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi will definitely miss Euro 2012 after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament for a second time.
The 25-year-old forward had been nearing a return to competitive action after first injuring his right knee during his club's Liga loss to Real Madrid at the tail end of October.
However, Villarreal announced on Friday afternoon that the player tore his ACL again during a training session earlier in the day.
Rossi now requires another operation on his knee and is expected to be out for a further six months.
The news will come as a major blow for Azzurri boss Cesare Prandelli, who had been hoping that Rossi would make his comeback before the season's end and thus give the coach an extra striking option for the country's Euro 2012 campaign.
The injury could also scupper the former Manchester United man's hopes of a summer transfer, with the player having been heavily linked with a return to Italy in recent months.
The boss again gave a cryptic response to the idea of the pair of World Cup winners turning out for the Azzurri again and would like Mario Balotelli to 'calm down'.
It has been a number of years since the seasoned forwards made their last appearances for the national team, but the injuries to Giuseppe Rossi and Antonio Cassano have seemingly opened the door to the possibility of two sensational comebacks.
However, the coach again was tight-lipped when posed the question: "Totti and Del Piero wearing the Azzurri colours? I do not say yes and I do not say no, I say wait.
"Of course, I miss Rossi and Cassano, but I will wait until the last day for them. Balotelli is very strong, but still needs to calm down."
Prandelli had been touted as a potential candidate for the managerial post at Inter following Claudio Ranieri's sacking a few days ago.
In response to the reports, he admitted he does miss aspects of coaching at club level but insisted Italy remains his sole focus going into the summer's showpiece event.
"Inter? I am concentrating on the national team, but if it goes wrong in Poland and Ukraine, who knows," Prandelli told Tuttosport.
"I repeat, I do miss the day-to-day responsibility, I've never hidden it."
Italy open their European Championship campaign against Group C rivals Spain on June 10.